IBM COBOL Training?

Can somebody give me the link to the free IBM training that’s referred to in this article?

I’m getting a 404 when I try and go to the course on GitHub.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @timothyherger6. I tried to open the site and got the same 404 error. I have a feeling they haven’t launched it yet. One article says that it won’t start until next week. But let me know if you hear anything from the forum. Thanks.

Hi everyone!

We will make an announcement when the code is on GitHub later in the week - sorry for the delay!

4 Likes

Thanks for the update @jmertic. Will the announcement be here in the forum or will you have a site that we should check (or both :slight_smile: )?

Two more questions:

1. Where might we find free IDEs for download to practice COBOL programming
  2. Do we need to know JCL before embarking on COBOL training, or will it be incorporated in the training?

I am no expert, just curious, but I found this it’s an open cobol ide written in python: https://pypi.org/project/OpenCobolIDE/

Also this it’s a node js bridge to run cobol code: https://github.com/IonicaBizau/node-cobol

And this repo with some basic examples to test out : https://github.com/IoannisNoutsis/COBOL-Training?files=1
Hope it helps.

1 Like

Guys
Please understand the basics.
Its one thing to start coding in COBOL and contribute in application programming. its yet another thing to know how to handle cobol codes on the mainframe. Unlike other platforms on the mainframe one needs to learn the basics of MVS OPERATING SYSTEM and TSO editor, to start maneuvering from one panel to another on ISPF. You also need to learn JCL, JOB control language in order to submit the cobol codes to the OS for compilation, linking and running the load module. A knowledge of database like DB2 or IMS is a must in order to complete the cobol programming on the main frame.
I am a retired Cobol programmer with a 20 plus years of work experience on this platform working for tier 1 companies like IBM (India and IBM USA), I can train people on this platform as well as assist in coding. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE TO APPLY for the same.
I am available on my email id -
prasad.uday60@gmail.com

7 Likes

Dear
Its one thing to start coding in COBOL and contribute in application programming. its yet another thing to know how to handle cobol codes on the mainframe. Unlike other platforms on the mainframe one needs to learn the basics of MVS OPERATING SYSTEM and TSO editor, to start maneuvering from one panel to another on ISPF. You also need to learn JCL, JOB control language in order to submit the cobol codes to the OS for compilation, linking and running the load module. A knowledge of database like DB2 or IMS is a must in order to complete the cobol programming on the main frame.
I am a retired Cobol programmer with a 20 plus years of work experience on this platform working for tier 1 companies like IBM (India and IBM USA), I can train people on this platform as well as assist in coding. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE TO APPLY for the same.
prasad.uday60@gmail.com

Dear
prasad.uday60@gmail.com

You could still start with other resources on COBOL like http://www.csis.ul.ie/cobol/course/. There are some COBOL compilers available for free, but most of them are limited in some way and as most people do not have a host at home. There are still some notable differences. As Kapitan stated, a good knowledge of MVS, TSO, ISPF, JCL and many more are required to succeed on the host. There are lots of legacy COBOL handbooks available for reference and for free - these will be helpful, you just have to search for them: Search for COBOL PDF Reference

Legacy COBOL code is often full of tricks (sometimes well established, sometimes really dirty) to make the program fast or small or something in between. Programmers from modern languages often struggle to get the language concept. COBOL is also a bloated language. I can really recommend to learn to type (10 fingers blind) as IDEs are nowhere to what modern IDEs do for modern languages like Java. The basics of the language are easy to learn as COBOL can really be readable.

Young people should not learn COBOL - if you like software development, COBOL will never get you to the real fun parts of it. If you like software development, you are better of with other languages. Even though COBOL programmers are needed, the payment does not reflect that urge. For that reason, even if you are not interested in software development and ‘only do it for the money’, you are better of with other languages, too.

That said, if you are new to COBOL and still want to learn it: Have fun.

2 Likes

Point taken about the “fun parts” of programming. Being able to fire up a neural network, start a webserver, and send an SMS with 12 lines of code is pretty slick, but I have to think there’s also young programmers who would really like the structure and straight-forwardness of COBOL. The IBM Z Open Editor plugin also gives a lot of realtime support in COBOL so simple things like starting in the wrong area or mis-typing a file between the Data and Procedure Division gets caught before sending it off to the compiler. It’s definitely something I wish I had visibility to after getting bored with Pascal as a kid.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates. WIll await your announcement. Its a great initiative. Stay blessed and stay safe.

Wow, what a valid arguement. I AGREE with Coseos…

Yes, this its unfortunate that they dont pay a cobol programmer that much, even though they don’t have a cobol programmer in the market… probably a mental blockage…

When, I started coding arcade ago, they said mainframe may go out of demand, learn Foxpro and you will remain in demand right THROUGHPOUT.

I chose Db2 with cobol and cics on the mainframe and throughout my career coded thousands of lines and created many online MAPS using complex macros in assembler and connected them with CICS pseudoconversational programs for the ATMs and office usage of multinational banks and firms to run their business.
I could write codes to do batch processing and handle multiple complex sequel queries embedded in cobol using DB2…
I never felt the importance of creating GUI screens using visual C++… on the open system as mainframes dont need that…
The mainframes are solid and have survived 50 years of existence ( It was only 30 years old, when I started coding, Isentification Division in Cobol…
Gentlemen, it’s one thing to earn big but yet another to join a career which keeps you in demand.
GENTLEMEN,
I still echo the fact that a cobol progrmmer will always find a decent job for living and will never die out of hunger, young or old , FUN OR NO-FUN.

Kapitan

1 Like

Visual Studio Code is a good tool for basic editing. You can try GnuCobol if you can’t access a mainframe.

Looks like the github offering is live:

Welcome Frank
I am sure that you will like this forum

Dear all
When you write a program in cobol or any other language, the source code needs to be compiled and then linked edited in order to make it run or executable. The cobol compiler not only debugs the code for any syntactical error but converts the code into binary code after all the errors are debugged by the compiler. The object module thus created needs to be link-edited with certain system libraries in order to make it executable.
On an open-system (Non mainframe environment) the compiling and link-editting is done by the click of the mouse for building and running the load.
The programmer on mainframe needs to write separate code called JCL - JOb control Language in order to submit his/her source code to the MVS OS for getting the compilation and the delinking done.
Without the help of JCL no source codes can be compiled, linked and RUN to get the work done. Thats the precise difference between writing the code on an system verses on the mainframe.
Please follow my classes i am planning to run a free course on
Overall Understanding of MAIN FRAME
Cobol coding
JCL coding
DB2
CICS
VSAM
TSO/ISPF
REXX/CLIST
Hope that helps. For any questions on mainframe, please feel free to post it on this forum and it will be answered.

Regards

5 Likes

Thanks Kapitan. I studied Cobol a long time ago. Now, I develop in Java, NodeJS and other web languages. But, I’m an old dog that want to learn new tricks.

Thank you Kapitan for your contribution.
I m mainly a Java and web consultant and in these days reading all news regards shortage of COBOL and Mainframe programmer. I m interested to learn more at least just for curiosity for now.

Kapitan,

Can you please guide the first few steps on installing COBOL or other supporting platforms for I am very new and completely unaware of how to prepare myself for when the actual training starts? Please let me know and any guidance is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Karan Manhas