Any connections?

None. No contacts at all.

Nada! Zilch! None! Itā€™s all BS! I knew it was but gave it a shot bc what choice do we have? Itā€™s a sad day when I have to go through a guy in India to apply for a job in Rhode Island. Fā€™ing country!

Yup!! They have mitigated hall to ask for volunteers. They are huge pieces of shit.

Got the same one!!! Lyinā€™ a-holes!

Companies arenā€™t looking for employees. They want consultants that they can drop whenever they feel like it, and also pay cut-rate salaries.
Makes me wonder why this was dreamed up.

1 Like

How could I contact with them ??

1 Like

I viewed it, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ā€œimproved the conversation in any way.ā€

Nothing, sad to be willing to help and no one is interested.

2 Likes

Nothing. Itā€™s just a long list that will lead nowhere.

I think it is just a way to collect email addresses.

1 Like

A complete waste of time. But, hey, under Lockdown I have all the time in the world to waste!

nothing, zilch, zero, nada.

Nope! Not a single query. Iā€™m not sure that the industry is checking this.

I received the same email.

Well, Ohio has their system running fast. I had collected unemployment after my last contract and it ran out in February. On Friday 5/1 they sent an email saying I would be eligible for an extension under CARES. So I applied Friday. I got paid this morning and have absolutely no trouble logging in whenever I want to.

The changes that they needed COBOL for were minor. What they needed was to scale up the architecture on the front end. The mainframe batch processing can certainly handle the volume.

No . If they apparently are looking for volunteers only they shouldnā€™t have included possibility of paid positions. Just another con job.

1 Like

Its been over a month since I put in my application. No response so far. Such a disappointment really.

Hey IBM, you may have wanted to help out, but apparently, no one wants to take us COBOL professionals up on any free held. Looking at the thread, myself and a whole bunch of others have never been contacted. It would have been nice if we at least had a ā€˜thank you for offering your services.ā€™

1 Like

This morning, the advanced search at Indeed reported 23 jobs with COBOL in the title were posted over the last 15 days.

In other news, IBMā€™s (free?) COBOL course is also offered at Courseraā€¦
20200601 Coursera COBOL

Anyone here active looking for work? Iā€™d like to connect. Or better yet is there an on-line forum or place that support people looking to get back into the COBOL market like me?

I was a AS400/Sys38 COBOL developer for 14 years and a SysAdmin/operator for 4. Iā€™m looking to get back in for I hear there is a demand for the current staffing is retiring and not many are coming up to replace them.

At least thats the story I hear. Can anyone attest or opine about the validity or accuracy of this statement?

Iā€™m taking on-line courses to refresh my COBOL skills and to learn z/OS,JCL, and other mainframe realted languages and technologies. I would like to know if this energy spent is really worth it.

Iā€™m based in Europe and would prefer to work from here. Either in person or remotely.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Aloha, Cipriano