I'd love to learn new COBOL, used to use it 20 years ago...!

• Name: Christopher Burke
  • COBOL Experience: Beginner, 20 years outta date!
  • Availability: (Part-time, Full-time) Anytime!
  • Availability Type: Totally free of charge (Volunteer)
  • Link to LinkedIn profile (or other relevant job experience information):

Had to do this as a reply because you’re not given a typing box for the original enquiry (why!?!)

OK. Just over 20 years ago I got a fairly high standard qualification in Cobol. I had the chance to use it a few times since but for various reasons not THAT often. I still remember the basic structure of the language (Information, Environment, Data and Procedure Divisions) and a LOT of the syntax/grammar I was taught back then.

Of course things must have changed a lot since, last time I saw a printout was a few years back and it had morphed into trying to look like a 4GL, bless it! So for sure I’m happy to do any retraining and see how far I can get with it this time around. One thing - would I be compiling it online, is it a JIT compiler these days or would I need a powerful home PC to compile it on? My PC’s not bad but I’m not sure if it’s up to COBOL or not.

Yours hopefully

Christopher Burke.

1 Like

Did you ever get a PM about this ? I’m in the same boat.

I am new here. Worked with COBOL more than 20 years ago. I signed up for COBOL with VScode, but Zowe explorer keep saying no Zowe CLI Profile found. I followed all the instructions and unable to progress beyond this point. HELP please

Has this problem been resolved? If not and you are still interested, I can help resolve the problem.