- Name: Christopher Burke
- COBOL Experience: Beginner, 20 years outta date!
- Location: Brighton, Sussex, United Kingdom (England).
- Availability: (Part-time, Full-time) Anytime!
- Availability Type: Totally free of charge (Volunteer)
- Link to LinkedIn profile (or other relevant job experience information):
Had to do this as a reply because you’re not given a typing box for the original enquiry (why!?!)
OK. Just over 20 years ago I got a fairly high standard qualification in Cobol. I had the chance to use it a few times since but for various reasons not THAT often. I still remember the basic structure of the language (Information, Environment, Data and Procedure Divisions) and a LOT of the syntax/grammar I was taught back then.
Of course things must have changed a lot since, last time I saw a printout was a few years back and it had morphed into trying to look like a 4GL, bless it! So for sure I’m happy to do any retraining and see how far I can get with it this time around. One thing - would I be compiling it online, is it a JIT compiler these days or would I need a powerful home PC to compile it on? My PC’s not bad but I’m not sure if it’s up to COBOL or not.